Saturday, March 6, 2010

Power Smoothies

I'm on this new kick that I thought I'd share. I love most fruits and veggies, but it's not always "easy" getting the right amounts of them. And of course if I have the choice between a fruit or a veggie, usually the fruit wins! I started thinking, "I wonder what it would taste like if I ate them together?" So I tried it! Why not? The result is a super tasty, healthy, vitamin-packed power smoothie! I grab anything from a kiwi to kale and throw it right in the blender along with some ice and liquid (water, your favorite juice, or I use Naked Juice "Green Machine.") I realize it may sound a bit strange, but don't knock it 'til you try it.

To add a little protein, try throwing in half an avocado. I'm a huge fan of avocados - Not only for their taste, but for the fact that they're made up of healthy, essential fats.

Here are a few ideas. If you try this, let me know what you think.

1 kiwi
1/2 banana
4-5 frozen strawberries
1/2 avocado
1 carrot
5-6 kale leaves
3-4 broccoli spears (I don't "recommend using the "tree" part...it doesn't taste as good.)
a few ice cubes
1/2 C. water or juice of your choice (juice will obviously sweeten it a bit more.)

or

4-5 frozen strawberries
1/2-3/4 C. mix of frozen blueberries, respberries and blackberries
1/2 avocado
1 carrot
5-6 kale leaves
5 slices cucumber
a few ice cubes
1/2 C. liquid of choice

It's fun to play around with different ingredients to find what you like. I typically enjoy this for breakfast and sometimes one other time during the day (but not as a meal replacement other than breakfast.)

**I generally use kale (visit the link and scroll down to read about its nutritional value) in every smoothie because it's one of the healthiest veggies known to man. It's extremely anti-inflammatory and packed with antioxidants.

Enjoy!

No comments: