Friday, October 9, 2009

Good Eats!

I was just thinking the other day that I need to start posting about the different foods I've been cooking. Ever since my awesome colon issues were diagnosed (no shame, no shame...), I've become accustomed to eating completely different. As Aaron says, "If we weren't already eating healthy before..." and I suppose he's right. But it's interesting how "healthy" doesn't always mean it's what your body wants for its fuel. I've discovered that certain foods that seem healthy, just simply don't agree with my body. But the fiber deal is the big issue - For me and for everyone! I am such a believer!! If I could offer any advice for a healthier body (and i'm talking internally) it would be to EAT MORE FIBER. The body really needs it! And especially to fight off colon cancer, fiber does the trick. Here's a run down of a few key things i've changed:

-No boxed food. Maybe occasionally, but it's expensive and is packed with things your body shouldn't have to digest.
-Bye bye, Candy. This was tough at first for me. I love candy, but I eat it VERY sparingly now.
-Less pasta, more bulgur, couscous and quinoa. Bulgur, especially, is much higher in fiber, but all 3 of these have much higher nutritional value.
-Less cheese from cows. I generally just use Feta these days. It's soooo yummy and goes great with a variety of dishes.
-Olive Oil. It's the only oil I keep on hand, even for baking. I don't notice an olive taste when I use it for baking, but some might so light olive oil is best for that. It's good to buy the right kind of olive oil, so it should say"first cold pressed" on the bottle.
-Less red meat. It's fun to eat now and then when eating out or something, but I simply don't cook with it anymore. Ground turkey and chicken is what I cook most. Sometimes pork loins. Beef is hard to digest and can do a number on the colon (in case you were concerned. Haha)
-FISH, FISH AND MORE FISH! Salmon is the best and definitely fresh caught. Farm raised salmon is horrible for your health. Basically it's been raised in a small body of water with a lot of other salmon. It inhibits their growth and causes them to be fattier and feed on their own feces. Also, be wary of "Atlantic Salmon." There are so few in the Atlantic that it's illegal to commercial fish them. So stores only sell farm raised Atlantic and might be fooling us on the label if it says "fresh."
-Green tea. I prefer it iced with a lemon. Good for health and just GOOD.
-Soy milk. Easier to digest than regular milk. Packed with good protein. BUT, I do take a calcium suppliment 2-3 times a day now. Some studies have shown soy may cause problems in women with their thyroid, but nothing has been proven and its been eaten without problems for centuries.
-Less Coffee. This one has been really hard for me, but my tummy loves me for it. I treat myself here and there :)
-Focusing on breakfast. It's such an important meal. Anyone who skips breakfast is making a huge mistake. Just google why breakfast is so important and you'll get a list of a million reasons. I start my day off with a bowl of Kashi Go Lean fiber cereal. I admit, it isn't the most pleasing to the palate, but it does it's job. Enough said. Adding sliced strawberries or raspberries gives it an exciting flair. Thank goodness!!
-I must have chocolate, but it's pretty much dark chocolate only for me. These days you can get it with nuts and mint, hazelnut, etc. I look for at least 70%.

I know there are many more things, but that’s all I can think of right now. Aaron has been very supportive. Most of the time, he’s happy to eat what I cook…unless it has tomatoes! Strange boy!

If you want a really good recipe idea, try this one. Sorry my picture stinks. My camera didn't do a very good job.

2 cups quinoa
Half yellow pepper (seeds removed) chopped
Half red pepper (seeds removed) chopped
Half cucumber, cut into small pieces
2 parts of a shallot, chopped
5-6 basil leaves, chopped
3 fresh tomatoes, diced
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Greek seasoning
Salt


Let the quinoa cool after being cooked. Add approx. ½ C. olive oil. Mix in. Then mix veggie ingredients in. Add balsamic vinegar, greek seasoning and salt (to taste). Serve with Feta cheese on top.

And thank you, Gramma G for the wonderful cook book! So far the spinach stuffed chicken is my favorite. :)

No comments: