Wednesday, May 20, 2009

While We're Waiting

The events of the first year of our marriage have been pretty crazy. From getting married to preparing for a deployment and then having that canceled (praise God!); to going through a very painful work experience and being unemployed for the past few months, to working day and night all week just to finish the updates on our house by March, and finally putting it on the market and selling so quickly (praise God, again!). And now with Aaron looking for a civilian career in Civil Engineering. Talk about life changes!! Did anyone know that selling a home is considered to be one of the top 3 most stressful events in someone's lifetime? I had NO CLUE! But now I understand why. And for us military families, the deployment of a spouse is up there, too. All in all, we have been blessed. And even if things hadn't turned out the way they did with Aaron's deployment, we would STILL be blessed and praising the Lord. And even if our plans with this move don't work out how we planned, the LORD will be praised!

I was visiting with a Young Life leader named Kevin who works out of the basement of the home we'll be crashing for the next few months until we're officially out of the military. As I was pulling clothes out of one suitcase and putting them into a smaller one in preparation for our trip to Boston this week, we were chatting about the craziness of life, but how we can see in the midst and as we look back just how God took the trust and hope we gave him and guided us each step of the way.

As I sat there looking at all I have for the next 4 months, I thought, "Lord, what am I to learn in this time?" And then Kevin said, "You know, I think sometimes God just wants us to lighten our load for awhile." I am so happy that he said that! As challenging as it will be to live out of two suitcases, I realized in that moment that I have everything I need. The Lord going before me, clothes on my back, and the love of my life, Aaron.

As I drove home, I heard this song come on the radio and I love every single lyric. My favorite part is about how even in a time of waiting, not only do we need to worship the Lord, but we need to serve him by ministering to the people of this world wherever we are at - Even in a time of transition. Becauase as Aaron and I are well aware, this transition has been and could continue to take a long time!

I’m waiting
I’m waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I’m waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait
I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I’m waiting
I will serve You
While I’m waiting
I will worship
While I’m waiting
I will not faint
I’ll be running the race
Even while I wait

I’m waiting
I’m waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I’m waiting on You, Lord
Though it’s not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting
I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting
I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting on You, Lord

Lyrics by John Waller

1 comment:

Mari said...

Thanks for those lyrics. They really spoke to me and my impatience during this "wait" in my life.

I can't wait for it to be over, but I know that God chose September for a reason - to teach us to serve and worship and learn from the "wait."